Colour in the Cauldron is the first of a textile research & residency series organized by Hinterland Textiles, and will take place in Oaxaca, Mexico. Located high in the mountainous Central Valleys region, Oaxaca is rich in culture and is known world wide for its history in textiles and natural dyes.
This residency includes nine nights' accommodation at a beautiful bed and breakfast in the heart of the city, El Diablo y La Sandia. Each breakfast is a traditional Oaxacan style dish served with fruit, coffee, and juice. Each room has a bathroom that will be shared with two people from the residency.
The dates are TBD.
Fees for Colour in the Cauldron Oaxaca include:
- a welcome dinner together at a beautiful and casual restaurant
- an intensive natural dye workshop with Elsa Sanchez Diaz and Eric Chavez in Oaxaca City for two full days
- open studio time to exparament on our own for the entire 9 days we are in the city
- chauffeured trips to a cochineal farm, a family of rug weavers in Teotitlan del Ville, a silk spinning and weaving village in the sierra norte region of Oaxaca, and a visit to a historic textile factory in San Agustin Etla
- guided tours of many local museums and galleries including the Museo Textil.
- scheduled talks and conversations with local textile experts
- tours to various parts of the city and surrounding area
The residency will close with a dinner in the city on the last Saturday evening. Don't worry, the schedule includes free time for exploring and working on projects! There are plenty of unique and interesting shops, monuments, parks, and markets you may want to check out on your own.
Registration will be available online, please sign up for the newsletter to find out dates.